National Pan-Hellenic Council
On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University in Washington D.C., the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. (NPHC) was formed with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi fraternities and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma fraternities joined the council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was
Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.
~National Pan-Hellenic Council
Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.
Georgia State University is currently home to seven of the organizations in the Divine Nine. The following organizations are active on Georgia State University’s campus:
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Eta Mu Chapter
Colors: Salmon Pink and Apple Green
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
Zeta Mu Chapter
Colors: Black and Old Gold
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Zeta Phi Chapter
Colors: Crimson and Cream
- Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
Eta Upsilon Chapter
Colors: Charcoal Brown and Gilded Gold
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Zeta Theta Chapter
Colors: Royal Purple and Old Gold
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
Pi Alpha Chapter
Colors: Blue and White
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
Omicron Gamma Chapter
Colors: Royal Blue and Gold