The purpose of Greek Week is to unite and support the fraternity and sorority community through events that promote the four pillars (academics, service, leadership and friendship) of fraternity and sorority life at Georgia State University and educate the campus at large about the presence and contribution of Greek letter organizations. There are activities to help the community, foster friendship and have some fun along the way. In addition, the community will strive to include members of the Georgia State community who are not initiated brothers and sisters of Greek letter organizations by encouraging them to be both participants and spectators of the week’s events. The Greek community at Georgia State University is full of pride, traditions and friendships, and these are highlighted in this week of events. During Greek Week, Greek Life hopes that all of the chapters compete against each other with enthusiasm and pride in the Greek community. Greek Week occurs annually during the spring semester.
The Greek Awards program was created to aid the overall growth and improvement of Greek organizations at Georgia State University. Each organization is required to participate in the Greek Excellence program which is associated with a specific point value. Points are rewarded for the completion of tasks based upon the timeliness and quality of completion. This program assists chapters to efficiently communicate with university staff and their respective national organizations and better recognize areas in which they can improve and areas in which they are excelling. Upon completion of the Greek Excellence program, sororities and fraternities are honored at an end of the year celebration.
Greeks Advocating the Mature Management of Alcohol (GAMMA)
GAMMA is a leadership program specifically for fraternity and sorority members who agree to be advocates to their chapter members. GAMMA members form a peer education group that works as a team to educate members about health and safety issues and identify and reduce high risk behaviors that can cause harm to individuals or to the chapter. By reducing high risk behaviors, members are better able to succeed at college and contribute in positive ways to the chapter.
Order of Omega
The purpose of Order of Omega is to:
- Recognize fraternity men and women who have attained a high standard of leadership in interfraternity activities.
- Encourage these men and women to continue along this line and inspire others to strive for similar conspicuous attainment.
- Unite outstanding fraternity men and women to create an organization which will:
- Help to mold the sentiment of the institution on questions of local and intercollegiate fraternity affairs.
- Bring together members of the faculty, alumni and student members of the institution’s fraternities and sororities on a basis of mutual interest, understanding and helpfulness.
- Help create an atmosphere where ideas and issues can be discussed openly across Greek lines and to help work out solutions.